Chiang Mai, Thailand
Trip cost: US$2,010
Want something more out of your vacation time? Travel with this Global Village team to Thailand, where you will help to transform the lives of low-income families and create positive change in the world and in yourself.
Your days will be spent with a shovel in your hand as you move dirt, dig septic tanks, mix concrete and lay foundations. Not only are you helping to build a home, your work will also boost a family’s economic opportunities and improve their health.
Plus, you’ll get to see Thailand’s amazing Buddhist temples and learn to cook authentic Thai cuisine. Teams stay in double occupancy hotel rooms and enjoy a Thai style buffet at lunch each day.
- Thursday-Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Thailand!
- Saturday: Arrive. Land in Chiang Mai where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby temple, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection, and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Thailand may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Melissa Banks is leading this team and is excited to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she’s excited to lead this trip, Melissa said, “For me there is no greater joy than being able to help people achieve their goal of owning a home. During my last two Global Village builds I was able to work alongside the homeowners and get to know them. Now, when I think about the houses I have worked on, I am able to imagine the people I met living in their homes. Building Habitat homes is an inspirational experience.”