Siem Reap, Cambodia
Trip cost: US$1,785
Join this 10-day trip to Cambodia to build housing with families in need.
Cambodia is located in southeastern Asia, bordering the Gulf of Thailand, between Thailand, Vietnam and Laos. The mighty Mekong River dominates the country’s fertile landscape, and the Angkor Wat temple complex is one of the most treasured and visited sites in the entire region.
Habitat Cambodia aims to reduce poverty by empowering communities to improve their access to affordable and basic services and better living conditions. Habitat is involved in new home construction, house repairs and water, sanitation and health initiatives.
Still, housing problems are widespread. In Cambodia, rural households account for nearly 90 percent of the country’s poor, with 85 percent of the population living in rural areas. In Siem Reap, thousands of rural families who have moved to the city for job opportunities live in substandard housing.
Cultural experiences throughout the trip may include market tours, museum visits and historical sites. You’ll stay double occupancy in a local hotel with private bathrooms. Breakfast and dinner are typically eaten at the hotel or in a local restaurant and lunch is taken at the work site. Spend the days laying bricks, mixing mortar, digging foundations, pouring cement or plastering walls.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Cambodia!
- Saturday: Arrive. Land in Siem Reap where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby museums, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue to deepen your knowledge of the history in Siem Reap with visits to local sites. Conclude the day with a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Cambodia may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Bill McCabe is leading this team and excited to answer any questions you may have.
When asked about his most memorable Global Village experience, Bill recalled, “It was the last day of our build in Thailand and I was sweeping up in a back corner of the small cement block house that we had just built. I noticed that as the sunlight was streaming in the opening for the back door were the young Thai mother and her 4-year-old daughter gazing with wonder upon their new home. Their lives would never again be the same and neither would mine. This is the magic that Habitat for Humanity creates every day for families across the world.”