Trip cost: US$2,045
Join this 10-day trip to Romania to build affordable housing with families in need.
Romania is a fascinating country – a place where medieval life meets modern times. While visiting, you’ll discover a land with majestic, natural beauty, a rich cultural heritage and a history still alive in, and sometimes haunting, the present.
Romania became the 50th Habitat for Humanity country after being invited to help in Beius. Six other communities, including Cluj-Napoca (Cluj), Pitesti, Radauti, Comanesti, Cumpana and Craiova have since taken up the challenge of ending poverty housing as part of Habitat. Now more than 1,200 families in Romania, who previously lived in miserable conditions, have a safe and healthy home. For more information about Habitat for Humanity Romania, visit www.habitat.ro.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards Romania!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Romania. Meet the rest of your teammates, enjoy dinner together and learn more about Habitat’s work in the region.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to area where you’ll spend the week. Enjoy some free time before meeting back up with your team for dinner.
- Monday-Saturday: Build. Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before traveling to the work site where you’ll serve from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. with breaks for lunch and snacks. You’ll have free time after work to clean up and relax. Enjoy dinner in local restaurants and reflect with your team on the week.
- Sunday: Explore. Visit local historic sites and break for lunch. Explore the area and have a last dinner in Romania with your teammates.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Romania independently or head home.
Types of construction for volunteers
Depending on the stage of construction, our team will work on a variety of tasks, which may include new construction of single and duplex wood-frame houses, or home renovations and repairs. No construction experience is required for Global Village participants.
Teams should expect to stay in a simple hotel in double-occupancy rooms with a private bath. Meals are usually taken at local restaurants. First and last nights will be accommodated in Bucharest.
Leading this trip
Sully Mynatt will lead this team to Romania. When asked why she’s eager to lead another trip, Sully said, “I cannot wait to return to Romania and have you join me for this amazing build! The country and people are certainly a joy to visit and helping a Habitat family with their housing needs is a wonderful opportunity. I look forward to the excellent organization Habitat provides us in-country and the food is amazing!”