Critical home improvement
Trip cost: US$1,770
Many Portuguese families live in homes that are overcrowded and often lack electricity, proper sanitation or running water. Your team will experience how Habitat Portugal provides safe and decent housing through their microfinance program.
You’ll stay in a modest, comfortable hotel with double-occupancy rooms. You’ll get an authentic taste of Portuguese cuisine by dining at local restaurants for lunch and dinner each day. Your trip will immerse you in the community’s culture with a visit to nearby Guimaraes, the cradle of Portuguese culture and home to their first king.
Join this trip if you’d like to see firsthand how Habitat impacts homeowners through rehabilitation efforts. You’ll spend six entire days on the build site getting your hands dirty with demolition efforts, bending rebar, laying bricks or painting.
- Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Portugal!
- Sunday: Arrive. Join us in Porto, Portugal, where you’ll meet up with your team and travel together to Braga. You’ll meet Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area. Later you’ll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Saturday: Build. The team will jump in with renovation construction activities stopping for breaks and lunch each day. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Sunday: Explore. Travel back to Porto, explore the area and share a final meal with your team.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Portugal independently or head home.
Leading this team
Jennifer Brining will lead this trip to Portugal and would love to tell you more about the experience! This will be Jennifer’s fifth time leading volunteers, she’s been all over the world including Costa Rica, Romania, Mozambique and Guatemala, to name only a few.