Trip cost: US$1,915
The housing need in rural India is quite large. By joining this trip to India, you'll bring vital human resources to the project and experience the community like a local.
In Pondicherry, India, families not only need a decent place to live but also access to appropriate sanitation facilities. Existing shelter is small and shared by several family members. It cannot withstand strong climatic conditions, making it vulnerable to natural disasters and in need of frequent repairs.
Your team will help with essential construct activities as you build a new home for a family by digging a foundation, laying bricks, mixing cement and constructing a bathroom. You'll learn more about the economic situation in the area, visit local cultural sites and meet members of the community. You'll stay double occupancy in a hotel near the build site. Lunch, snacks and water will be provided on the build site with dinner at the hotel.
- Saturday-Sunday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards India!
- Monday: Arrive. Join us in Chennai, India, where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet your team. You'll have free time to explore the city of Chennai before sharing in a team dinner.
- Tuesday, Travel. Travel with your team to beautiful Pondicherry. Rest and relax before dinner.
- Wednesday-Friday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Habitat staff will show you the community, take you to local cultural sites, and show you the unique treasures of India.
- Monday-Wednesday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Thursday: Celebrate. Spend time on the build site and celebrate the week's accomplishments with the new homeowners!
- Friday: Travel. Travel with your team back to Chennai and explore the area.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or head home.
Leading this team
Kelly White is leading this team and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she's leading another trip, Kelly shared, "This will be my 13th Global Village build. I am super excited to share another great adventure with a new team while making connections in new communities and providing affordable shelter for a family in India!"