Trip cost: US$1,930
Work alongside Guatemalan families and their community as they work to achieve strength, stability and independence through affordable shelter.
You’ll stay in the department of Quetzaltenango, located in the southwestern highlands with thriving industries such as grain mills, breweries, food and drink packaging and leather and textile processing plants. The department is also known for its cultivation of potatoes, grains and vegetables. The culture is rich and your team will experience it in many facets by visiting a local women’s weaving cooperative, learning to salsa dance and cook authentic Guatemalan food.
Teams stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel and explore restaurants in the area or meals at their hotel while also reflecting with their teams in the evening about the week.
Join this team if you’re ready to work alongside a local mason and learn about the innovative ways Habitat is helping Guatemalan families get access to affordable shelter. You’ll work hard on the build site digging the foundation, mixing concrete and mortar, tying rebar, splitting concrete blocks and laying them for the walls of the home.
- Saturday: Arrive. Depart from home and join us in Guatemala! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to your hosting community. The team will learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your project.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Mix cement, lay bricks and assist the local masons to build a new home or improve an existing one. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. The team will go sightseeing in and around Antigua and sample local cuisine.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Stancil Campbell is leading this team to Guatemala and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why he's eager to return to Guatemala, Stancil reflected, "In a world with increasing divisiveness and separation, Habitat gives us the opportunity to create cohesiveness, respect and mutual love for our fellow human beings around the world. We learn through Habitat our responsibility to share equally and to work together in our world."