Trip cost: US$2,100
Travel to Lesotho, a small country within South Africa, where you will partner with future homeowners as they seek strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. Habitat is serving the community through this unique program that builds shelter for a family of orphans and their caretaker.
The Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project is Habitat's response to the HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa. After your team builds a simple house, Habitat staff will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and support to ensure that this solution is a long-term improvement.
This trip includes time for you to reflect, relax and be inspired by volunteers who are a lot like you. In addition to building in the community, Habitat staff will show you around Lesotho so that you truly experience life in southern Africa. The team will stay at a modest, comfortable lodge or guesthouse in double-occupancy rooms with private bathrooms.
On the build site you may mix mortar, move bricks, install windows and doors, pour cement floors, plaster walls and other tasks as you work alongside local, skilled masons.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head for South Africa!
- Saturday: Arrive. Arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa, where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff. Meet the rest of your team and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel with your team to Lesotho. Habitat staff will brief your team on their work in the region and how they are supporting communities in the area.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend time on the work site with free time and team reflection in the evenings. Enjoy breakfast and dinner at the hotel or in local restaurants with lunch, snacks and plenty of water on the build site throughout the day.
- Friday: Celebrate. Head back to the work site and continue building until noon. Celebrate the week’s work with a dedication ceremony.
- Saturday: Explore and goodbyes. Before departing South Africa later in the day, explore Johannesburg through a local tour of craft shopping. Your journey in Africa may continue independently or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Richard Ludwig is leading this team and would love to tell you more about this experience.
When asked why he's eager to lead another trip, Richard shared, "Global Village builds have been some of the most rewarding experiences in my life. The opportunity to recruit folks from all over the world and help build a hard-working, close-knit team is extremely rewarding. Looking forward to another Habitat adventure!"