Women Build - Asuncion, Paraguay
Trip cost: US$1,830
In honor of Paraguayan Mother's Day, this build aims to empower women and turn them into advocates for decent housing in Paraguay. The event gathers local and international groups of women from all walks of life to work together to build homes along with female homeowners.
Partner with Habitat for Humanity Paraguay to help bring strength, stability and independence to a family in need of a decent place to live. As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Eat traditional food and meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
After volunteering during the day, you will have free time in the evenings for excursions, relaxation and reflection. During your day off, you and your team will explore the area in and around Asuncion. In order to better understand the local culture, the team will have a cooking lesson, watch a traditional dance or visit an artisan homeowner.
The team will stay double-occupancy in modest, comfortable hotel rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants. While you spend time on the build site, you’ll help move dirt and bricks, dig for septic tanks, bend rebar, mix and pour cement and much more!
- Saturday: Travel. Depart from home and join us in Paraguay! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Sunday: Arrive. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. Start your first day on the build site.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Skilled construction workers will guide you and your team as you build. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings
- Saturday: Explore. The team will have a free day to explore local markets, enjoy a mate, and sample local cuisine.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in South America independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Laura Maltby will lead this special team to Paraguay and would love to speak more with you about the experience!
When asked why she’s excited to lead this trip, Laura reflected, “I have been a team member on six builds in Paraguay. I love the country, which is so little known to the United States. One of my favorite memories was listening to the mother of a new homeowner speak very eloquently about how it had always been her dream to see all of her children have homes of their own, and that with this house, her dream had become a reality. Another favorite memory is of helping a homeowner plan a lapacho tree, which is very traditional in Paraguay, in her new backyard – and so many others!”