Trip cost: US$1,960
Join this team to Nepal and you’ll be building in the Kavre district. At the foothills of the Himalayas, this area includes not only many of the country’s Buddhist stupas and Hindu temples, but also families in need of better housing.
Habitat Nepal is assisting earthquake-affected families in constructing new homes through owner-driven approaches. Since the April 25, 2015 earthquake, thousands of families are still living in temporary shelters. You’ll work alongside future homeowners as they build strength, stability and self-reliance through disaster-resilient shelter.
Lodging will be provided in a local hotel with volunteers sharing double-occupancy rooms and shared bath. Breakfast will be provided at the hotel, with lunch, snacks and bottled water ready on the work site. Experience dinner either at the hotel or in a local restaurant.
On the work site you’ll be led by local, skilled workers, you’ll help mix mortar and cement, carry and soak bricks, weave bamboo, carry sand and gravel, all critically important tasks as Nepalese families start their journey towards building a safe home.
- Friday and Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Nepal!
- Sunday: Arrive. Arrive in Kathmandu where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff and meet up with the rest of your team. You’ll enjoy dinner in a local restaurant or at the hotel in Kathmandu.
- Monday: Learn. Head towards Kavre. Along the way you’ll learn about Habitat’s innovative work in Nepal and your team’s project for the week. Habitat staff will introduce you to the community where you’ll stay.
- Tuesday-Sunday: Build. Head out to the build site where you’ll partner with families recovering from an earthquake in 2015. Enjoy breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants, and lunch on the build site.
- Monday: Explore. Depart Kavre and head back towards Kathamandu. There will be time to explore the local area and participate in excursions.
- Tuesday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or head home.
Leading this team
Chris Sebilia is leading this team and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why he’s excited to lead this team, Chris reflected, “In 2011 I went on my first Global Village trip, which was to Thailand. The joy of working long days with the jovial Thai people, and touring Chiang Mai at night, confirmed I had made one of the best decisions of my life. Since then I’ve lead a trip each year, to places all over the world. Each team is another amazing group of people, each location is another life-changing experience. With any trip you choose, it’s bound to be a great experience.”