Umgababa, South Africa
Trip cost: US$2,385
On this Global Village trip, you’ll travel to Umgababa, South Africa, where you’ll be blown away by the sheer generosity of spirit of the local people. A week of hard work and community interaction ends with a dedication of the home.
Your team will serve in KwaZulu-Natal, a community where residents reside in mud structures which have become unsafe and unhealthy to live in. By partnering with the local government, community and construction organizations, you’ll move and lay blocks, mix cement and smooth walls in order to bring future homeowners in South Africa closer to strength, stability and self-reliance.
You’ll stay in double occupancy in a local lodge with shared bathrooms. Enjoy lunch on the build site and breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants. On the build site, expect to help with a variety of tasks including mixing and moving mortar, transporting crashed stones, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and much more.
- Thursday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for South Africa!
- Friday: Arrive. Join us in South Africa where you’ll be greeted by a Habitat representative when you arrive and will join the rest of your team.
- Saturday: Learn. Discover more about how Habitat is bringing strength, stability and self-reliance to families in South Africa.
- Sunday-Thursday: Build. Enjoy breakfast at the lodge each morning before departing for the build site. Mix cement, build walls, bend rebar and assist the local masons to build a new home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Friday: Explore. Visit local sites and enjoy a farewell dinner with the rest of the team.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Cape Town independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Dave has led countless Global Village volunteers to locations across the globe. He will lead this trip to South Africa and would love to tell you more about the experience!