Tien Giang, Vietnam
Trip cost: US$1,810
Join this trip to help build decent, affordable housing in Vietnam with families in need.
The Tien Giang province, situated along the Mekong Delta’s coastline, faces the ocean and is one of the most vulnerable communities at risk to typhoons and storms from the ocean, leading to flooding in the area and destruction of poorly construction homes. Your team will work to provide access to safe shelter, water and sanitation facilities for low income families.
Join this team if you’re ready to learn more about how Habitat serves homeowners through more than home construction and how adequate water and sanitation facilities lead to improved living conditions. This extended trip is perfect for volunteers excited to spend extra days on the work site.
Get to know Vietnam with visits to local markets, city tours, cooking classes and much more. Teams stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where they’ll enjoy meals as a team and visit local restaurants.
- Friday and Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart from home to meet your team.
- Sunday: Arrive. Join us in Vietnam! Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Monday: Learn. Travel to Tien Giang and learn about Habitat’s work in that community.
- Tuesday-Friday: Build. Spend time on the work site building disaster-resistant shelter with Vietnam homeowners, breaking for lunch and snacks throughout the day. The team will have time for reflection meetings, excursions and rest in the evenings.
- Saturday and Sunday: Explore. The team will go sightseeing in and around the community and sample local cuisine.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Head back to the work site breaking for lunch and snacks throughout the day. Wrap up the week on Thursday with a house dedication and farewell dinner with the team.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week’s work in the afternoon with a house dedication and farewell dinner with the team.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Vietnam independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Tricia Vos lives in Boston and when she’s not traveling or volunteering, she works part-time as a consultant in the field of medical chemistry. She’s lead 10 previous Global Village teams and can’t wait to share this experience with you!