Trip cost: US$2,010
Travel to Nicaragua and help Habitat for Humanity build homes for families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Eat traditional gallo pinto and other typical foods, meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve and explore local sites, plus learn about the innovative and holistic approach Habitat Nicaragua takes to serve families in need of decent shelter. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Saturday: Arrive. Arrive at Managua airport, where Habitat for Humanity staff welcomes you. Travel to accommodations and meet your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will orient you to our work in Nicaragua and introduce you to the community in which you’ll work.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Build on-site, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel to Granada, stopping at beautiful cultural sites along the way, then enjoy a final team dinner.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Nicaragua independently or head home.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hotels, two to three people per room. Enjoy a variety of cuisine prepared by locals.
Tasks on the work site
International volunteers may work in all stages of home construction. Regardless of what stage the house is in when the team arrives, responsibilities will likely include digging, carrying bricks, mixing cement, compacting dirt, moving materials and painting
Leading this team
Sanjay Rodrigo will lead this trip to Nicaragua and is excited to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why he’s leading this trip, Sanjay said, “What makes these trips so unique are the passionate and dedicated team members, the families and the community that supports the family. Global Village trips allow us to dig ditches side by side with families and be a part of their community for a short time. I leave every trip feeling like I received more intangible gifts from the team members, families and community than I am able to give in return.”