Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trip cost: US$1,785
Ring in the New Year in Phnom Penh, Cambodia! You’ll experience the bustling urban culture of the area while learning about the barriers to affordable housing in Cambodia, all while you serve alongside a future homeowner to bring strength, stability and self-reliance to their family.
The population of Phnom Penh is growing rapidly, increasing urban poverty and bringing to heightening land tenure issues, lack of appropriate housing and urban infrastructure. In Cambodia, 91 percent of the population resides in rural areas, and while poverty is decreasing in those areas, it remains stable in urban parts of the country.
You’ll experience firsthand the innovative ways Habitat Cambodia is reducing poverty and empowering communities through not only new home construction but also their water, sanitation and health initiatives.
Your build site experience will be a rich one. You and your team will help lay foundations, carry materials, mix mortar, lay cement floors and much more! In the evenings and on the weekends you’ll have the opportunity to explore more of the area and become truly immersed in the local culture. You’ll stay double occupancy in a local hotel with private bathrooms. Breakfast and dinner are typically eaten at the hotel or in a local restaurant and lunch is taken at the work site. Spend the days laying bricks, mixing mortar, digging foundations, pouring cement and/or plastering walls.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Cambodia!
- Saturday: Arrive. Land in Phnom Penh where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby museums, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue to deepen your knowledge of the history of Cambodia with visits to local sites. Conclude the day with a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Cambodia may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Hilary Trudell will lead this team to Cambodia and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked about why she’s excited to lead this trip, Hilary reflected, “This will be my fifth Global Village lead and my sixth trip. I'm particularly excited to experience a new area of the world and am looking for team members who look forward to embracing opportunities, meeting new friends and experiencing new cultures. My favorite thing about leading Global Village teams is the relationships built. While we work with Habitat to build houses, the astounding affect that building relationships with people from different states, countries and cultures has on volunteers keeps me coming back. Teams start as a group of individuals and leave the experience connected through accomplishing not only a common goal of creating a physical structure but of creating a global community of resilience and hope.”