Trip cost: US$1,960
Join this team to Nepal and you’ll be building in the Kavre district, located just north of Kathmandu. At the foothills of the Himalayas, this area includes not only many of the country’s Buddhist stupas and Hindu temples, but also families in need of better housing.
Habitat Nepal is assisting earthquake-affected families in constructing new homes through owner driven approaches. Since the April 2015 earthquake, thousands of families are still living in temporary shelters. You’ll work alongside future homeowners as they build strength, stability and self-reliance through disaster resilient shelter.
Lodging will be provided in a local hotel with volunteers sharing double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast will be provided at the hotel, with lunch, snacks and bottled water ready on the work site. Experience dinner either at the hotel or in local restaurants.
On the work site you’ll be led by local, skilled workers. You’ll help mix mortar and cement, carry and soak bricks, weave bamboo and carry sand and gravel – all critically important tasks as Nepalese families start their journey towards building a safe home.
- Friday and Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Nepal!
- Sunday: Arrive. Join us in Kathmandu where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff and meet up with the rest of your team. You’ll enjoy dinner in a local restaurant or at the hotel in Kathmandu.
- Monday: Learn. Head towards Kavre. Along the way you’ll learn about Habitat’s innovative work in Nepal and your team’s project for the week. Habitat staff will introduce you to the community where you’ll stay.
- Tuesday-Sunday: Build. Head out to the build site where you’ll partner with families recovering from an earthquake in 2015. Enjoy breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants, and lunch on the build site.
- Monday: Explore. Depart Kavre and head back towards Kathamandu. There will be time to explore the local area and participate in excursions.
- Tuesday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Nepal independently or head home.
Leading this team
Jennifer Joyce is leading this team and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she’s excited to lead this team, Jennifer reflected, “I partner with folks locally every day with my work, but to be a part of getting a family a house they have always dreamed of having is truly remarkable. These other countries don’t have the safety nets that we do and they are so grateful and excited about all of the small things that make it all worthwhile.”