Trip cost: US$1,785
Experience Bangalore, the center of India's high-tech industry and a blossoming dining and shopping scene. While taking in the scenic beauty of the region, you'll also help bring strength and stability to future homeowners who currently lack access to affordable shelter.
You'll spend the day on the work site, building a new home or completing essential repairs. In the evenings you'll explore the area with your team, taking in the Victorian architecture, learning about Indian Mehandhi and Rangoli art and celebrating the week's accomplishments with the community.
Your team will help with essential construction activities as you build a new home for a family by digging a foundation, laying bricks, mixing cement and constructing a bathroom. You'll learn more about the economic situation in the area, visit local cultural sites and meet members of the community. You'll stay double occupancy in a hotel near the build site. Lunch, snacks and water will be provided on the build site with dinner at the hotel.
- Thursday-Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards India!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Bangalore where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet your team.
- Sunday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Friday: Explore. Habitat staff will show you the community, take you to local cultural sites and show you the unique treasures of India.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or head home.
Leading this team
Chris Merritt will lead this team to India and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why he continues to lead Global Village teams, Chris shared, "I'm so excited to say that this will be my eighth Global Village experience. People will ask you, 'Why don't you just send the money?' The experiences you will share with your team members, being immersed in the country's culture, sharing sweat and tears with the locals — that's what money can't buy. This experience is for those volunteers who feel that just sending money with a hands-off approach isn't enough. Global Village experiences have turned into a passion of mine, and I have friends I can call family all over the world."