Taos, New Mexico
Trip cost: US$1,705
Travel to northern New Mexico and experience the region's unique style of adobe building.
Volunteer labor is scarce in Taos, New Mexico, and you'll help the local Habitat with vital manpower in order to complete homes with a future homeowner. You may help with framing, roofing, painting, landscaping, installing windows and doors and digging the foundation. You'll also see how Habitat ReStores contribute to our work and make homeownership a possibility for so many families.
During your downtime, you'll explore the beauty of the Southwest with a visit to the famous Rio Grande Gorge Bridge and the Taos Pueblo, a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage site that's been inhabited for more than 1,000 years. You'll also explore Earth Ships, which are sustainable homes made from found materials, and so much more!
You'll stay double occupancy in a local hotel. Enjoy local cuisine with lunch on the build site and dinner out at local restaurants.
- Saturday: Welcome. Grab your packed bags and join us in Albuquerque, New Mexico. You'll be greeted at the airport by your team leader and travel with your team to Taos.
- Sunday: Learn. Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before heading to the local affiliate offices to learn more about Habitat's work in the region and volunteer in the ReStore.
- Monday: Build. Head to the build site where you'll work alongside your team and learn more about barriers to affordable housing in Taos. In the evening you'll explore local sites with your team, reflect on the week's experiences and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Tuesday: Explore. Take a break from the build site and explore local attractions with your team.
- Wednesday-Thursday: Build. Head to the build site where you'll work alongside your team and learn more about barriers to affordable housing in Taos. In the evening you'll explore local sites with your team, reflect on the week's experiences and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Friday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in New Mexico independently, or depart for home.
Leading this team
John Mitchell is leading this team and is excited to experience the work, culture and friendly people of Taos, New Mexico.
Apply for this trip today or email John with any questions you have.