Vietnam Big Build
Trip cost: US$1,865
Join us in Vietnam as we bring together 250 volunteers from around the world to secure adequate housing for 25 families in the Dong Thap province.
The Dong Thap province is the third-highest rice producer in Vietnam, but almost a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line. Most houses have temporary stilt raised frames made of local construction materials and are located along the river bank. Due to the annual floods and poor construction, many of these houses are damaged and require continual maintenance.
Habitat for Humanity Vietnam and your team will address these housing issues by partnering with vulnerable families through microfinance solutions to help them improve their living conditions with new housing, access to clean water and sanitation facilities. Your team will help with all aspects of home construction. You'll hear from past and future Habitat homeowners and learn to cook local cuisine. At the end of the week, you'll celebrate with the family who will move in once the house is complete.
The team will stay double-occupancy in a local hotel with meals at local restaurants. The first and last nights will be in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Thursday-Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Vietnam!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Ho Chi Minh City. Meet the rest of your teammates, enjoy dinner together and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to Dong Thap by bus and prepare for the week with an opening ceremony and welcome dinner.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before heading to the work site, where you'll spend the week building. At the end of the week, you'll celebrate with a dedication ceremony.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Travel back to Ho Chi Minh City. Your journey in Vietnam may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this trip
Jean Kurtenbach will lead this special team to Vietnam and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why she's excited to lead another Global Village team, Jean shared, "As this is my 14th trip with Habitat, one might think I would become complacent, but it's just the opposite. I am very excited each and every time because I realize we are making an enormous difference in someone's life. I feel very blessed to be able to do this and will continue as long as I can!"