Dec. 9-16, 2018. Experience Habitat's work Big Island style! When you join this volunteer trip, you'll learn about the Hawaiian spirit of aloha and their respect for the land. Come with an open mind and readiness to serve.
Trip cost: US$1,855
Experience Habitat's work Big Island-style! When you join this volunteer trip, you'll learn about the Hawaiian spirit of aloha and their respect for the land. Come with an open mind and readiness to serve.
Habitat West Hawaii is serving homeowners through a variety of programs. Your team may help with critical home repairs, construct a new home and assist with community projects. You can help by painting, pressure washing, framing installing cabinets, digging foundations, repairing kitchens and much more!
There will be an abundance of fun activities to enjoy throughout the week. You can take a trip to Volcanoes National Park, enjoy a hike in Pololu Valley, witness a traditional Hawaiian imu celebration or take a sunset dinner cruise.
Your team will stay at a hotel or rental condos that are centrally located to shopping and dining and not far from the build site. Lunches will be provided on the build site, and you'll visit local restaurants for dinner or prepare meals as a team.
- Sunday: Welcome. Arrive in Hawaii where you'll be greeted at the airport by your team leader. Meet up with the rest of your team over dinner.
- Monday: Explore. Habitat staff will explain their work on the island. We’ll also have free time for team activities to explore the beauty of the Hawaii.
- Tuesday-Friday: Build. Work on the build site all day, followed by dinner and free time in the evenings.
- Saturday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and then celebrate the week's work with a farewell event.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Your trip to Hawaii may continue independently, or your may depart for home.
Leading this team
Margie Sisitsky will be leading this trip to Hawaii. She is looking forward to fostering a great Global Village experience for new volunteers and hopes to help guide other participants on their path to team leadership.