Chiang Mai, Thailand
March 14-23, 2019: Join this trip to Thailand and help bring safety and stability to families who need decent, affordable shelter!
Trip cost: US$1,975
Join this trip to Thailand and help bring safety and stability to families who need decent, affordable shelter!
With 16 percent of the population living below the national poverty line, houses are often built improperly with limited resources, resulting in unsafe, unhygienic living conditions. Habitat for Humanity Thailand partners with future homeowners and the community to build family-friendly, one-story homes with separate living areas, a toilet and a washing area.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, moving dirt, filling in the ground beam, laying bricks, cementing the floor or digging septic tank holes. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to experience the mountainous landscape, visit Lanna-styled temples, attend a Thai cooking class or interact with the community through local school and orphanage visits.
- Thursday-Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Thailand!
- Saturday: Welcome. Land at Chiang Mai where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby temple, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Thailand may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Dr. Richard Ludwig has been a team leader for six years and feels helping a group of strangers become a close-knit, hardworking team is an amazing opportunity — one that produces amazing results. As a team leader, Richard believes his role is to create an environment that ensures everyone has an incredible experience. The expectation is for all members to share in decision-making, do their best, have a positive attitude and, above all, have fun!
He is always looking for members with different backgrounds, levels of experience and unique perspectives. People like this make incredible team members, and building a house is a life-changing event. Join him for a remarkable adventure!