April 5-14, 2019: Join this trip to Zambia and help build safe housing for vulnerable populations.
Trip cost: US$2,283
Zambia currently faces a 1.3 million housing deficit projected to reach over 3.3 million by 2030.
More than 80 percent of the population in Zambia is considered low-income and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing. Zambia’s Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Program targets the most vulnerable in the society, children under the age of 18 living in poor housing conditions or living on less than US$2 a day. To date, Habitat for Humanity Zambia has helped build over 3,700 homes for low-income and vulnerable groups. Join this trip and you’ll help Zambia reach its 222,000 new housing units required annually between 2016 and 2030 to alleviate the housing deficit!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical tasks at the work site include: mixing and moving mortar, breaking and carrying blocks, building walls with cement blocks, placing window frames, and more. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the community through traditional dances and ceremonies or visiting craft markets.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Zambia!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia! You’ll be greeted by Habitat staff when you arrive and will join the rest of your team before departing the airport.
- Sunday: Learn. Discover more about how Habitat Zambia is serving vulnerable groups in the region. Then you’ll travel to Kabwe and meet the community!
- Monday-Thursday: Build. The team will clear sites, mix cement and assist the local masons to build a new home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Build in the morning and then enjoy a dedication ceremony with the community. Then the team will travel back to Lusaka and celebrate the week’s accomplishments with Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Visit local sites and enjoy a farewell dinner with the rest of the team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Margaret lives in Portland, Oregon, ever since her first build in Kyrgyzstan she has looked for opportunities to support and strengthen vulnerable populations. When she's not volunteering, she works as a financial consultant. She has led or participated in seven previous builds and has loved every minute. She has traveled through Africa in the past and looks forward to returning to this beautiful part of the world.