March 8-15, 2019: Join this trip to Jordan and help low-income families achieve safer, healthier lifestyles through affordable housing solutions!
Trip cost: US$1,625
Join this trip to Jordan and learn about a new, exciting culture while helping provide safe, affordable to families in need!
The combination of drought, refugee migration and an age bubble has increased the need for affordable housing solutions in Jordan. The current demand of 30,000 new homes annually is likely to continue to increase in the next 10-15 years. Habitat for Humanity Jordan aims to help low-income families by partnering with the community to provide safe, affordable homes based on each family’s individual needs, complete with separate living spaces, a kitchen and a bathroom.
You’ll be staying in guest housing with separate sleeping quarters based on gender. Breakfast will be provided at the guest house with lunches served on the build site and dinners hosted at a partner family’s home each night. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, lifting and carrying cement blocks, building exterior and interior walls, cutting and bending rebar or preparing and pouring the flat roof. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity visit archeological sites, hike around the village or interact with the local community through shared meals and barbecues.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Jordan!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Amman, Jordan, where Habitat for Humanity will greet you at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the affiliate community located near the Ajloun Forest Reserve, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project. Then enjoy your first afternoon on the build site.
- Monday-Wednesday: Build. Work with local, skilled construction workers. In the evenings, the team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings.
- Thursday: Celebrate. On your final day, participate in a dedication ceremony with the future homeowners!
- Friday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Jordan independently or depart for home.
Leading this team
Staci will be leading this team to Jordan. As team leader and member with Global Village, she’s visited over 50 countries and has no plans of slowing down. Her favorite part of the job is team-building and ensuring that each volunteer feels welcomed and valued. Her leadership style is about having fun making new friends, engaging in meaningful discussion, working hard and celebrating with a cold beverage at the end of the day! When she's not globe-trotting and collecting fodder for her website, she practices her second-favorite pastime: cooking and throwing parties at her home in Baltimore, Maryland.