March 22-31, 2019: Join us as we build durable homes to bring shelter to orphans and other vulnerable groups in Malawi.
Trip cost: US$2,149
Come together with a team of volunteers to build a home for orphans and their caretaker near Lake Malawi.
Four out of 5 families in Malawi live in substandard conditions with little hope of ever being able to afford a decent house. A typical home is made of mud bricks with a dirt floor and grass-thatched roof, which requires frequent repairs. Leaky roofs and mud floors create damp conditions and put families at high risk of contracting disease. With 1.5 million orphans and vulnerable children in Malawi, housing demand far exceeds the supply.
Your team will work with skilled masons to build a safe, decent house from the foundation up. The neighbors will welcome you into their community and you'll become immersed in the daily life of that village. After your team builds the home, Habitat Malawi will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and community support. This holistic approach will bring strength, stability and self-reliance for these children for decades to come.
Your team will stay in a modest, comfortable hotel with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most nights, and lunch is served on the work site. You'll complete essential build site tasks such as mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and much more.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards Malawi!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Lilongwe, Malawi, where you'll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in the region and brief the team on your project. You'll travel with your team to Salima, where you'll build throughout the week.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You'll have time to rest and reflect with your team in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week's accomplishments with the community. Return with your team to Lilongwe in the afternoon.
- Saturday: Explore. Check out the city of Lilongwe, Malawi's capital. Enjoy a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Leading this team
Rebecca Bitner will lead this team to Malawi and would love to tell you more about the experience!
She's volunteered with Habitat for more than 15 years, dating back to 2002 when she joined her first Women Build in a nearby neighborhood. She was hooked from the very first day. Having no construction knowledge at the time, that one leap of faith to do something outside of her comfort zone led to her chairing local committees, fundraising, partaking in an international build as a participant and ultimately leading her first team in 2006.
Rebecca shared, "There is truly nothing more rewarding than building beside a homeowner, seeing their face light up, thankful for your time to help them have a home." She quickly realized she was not only building homes, but building relationships with her teammates and the homeowners, and that this work is as much a blessing to volunteers as it is to the homeowner.
As your leader, Rebecca is committed to making your Global Village experience positive from the very beginning. She has found that team communication and interaction prior to the first in-person meeting and actual trip creates a cohesive experience. Join Rebecca on this trip to Malawi!