Trip cost: US$2,149
There are about 1.5million orphans and vulnerable children in Malawi out of a population of 17.3 million and approximately 21,000 new units are needed every year for the next 10 years to meet housing demand – this far exceeds supply.
About 4 out of 5 families in Malawi live in substandard homes with little hope of ever being able to afford a decent house. A typical village hut is built of mud bricks with a dirt floor and grass thatched roof, which requires frequent repairs. These conditions put the families at high risk of all kinds of diseases, with leaky roofs making the house damp and mud floors attracting insects. Working with Habitat Malawi, you can assist in the building of homes for orphans and other vulnerable groups, working to enhance the resilience of households and enabling them to have permanent, durable and flood resistant shelter.
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel, where breakfast and dinner is provided and lunch will be served on the work site. Typical tasks on the work site include: mixing mortar and concrete, fixing chicken wires, digging foundations, making bricks, and carrying construction materials or water. Off the work site you’ll have the opportunity visit Mulanje Mountain and the beautiful tea plantation it’s surrounded by or enjoy the different cultural activities in the village like the traditional Manganje dance!
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards Malawi!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Blantyre, Malawi, where you'll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in the region and brief the team on your project. You'll travel with your team to the community where you'll build throughout the week.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You'll have time to rest and reflect with your team in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week's accomplishments with the community. Return with your team to Blantyre in the afternoon.
- Saturday: Explore. Check out the city of Blantyre and enjoying a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Leading this team
This will be Charlie’s 11th Global Village trip! When Charlie plans his Global Village trips he’s always taken back to his Chile trip. The look on the family’s faces when they saw their very own home where their children would grow up was very, very powerful. It’s something that will stick with him forever and continues to fuel his passion for leading Global Village trips! If you join this trip you’ll get to share and experience that passion with Charlie and gain new experiences and perspectives that’ll spark your own passion!