March 15-25, 2019: Help build quadruplex apartments for low-income families in Romania!
Trip cost: US$1,996
Join this trip and help provided affordable housing solutions to Romanian families, allowing them to live safer, healthier lives!
In Romania, 58 percent of the population lives in overcrowded conditions, leading to family conflicts resulting in emotional imbalances, especially for children. Additionally, 42.5 percent lack a bath and toilet with running water. To solve these substandard living conditions, Habitat for Humanity Romania partners with future homeowners to build affordable apartments with a kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing and pouring concrete, building frame and roof trusses, bending rebar, insulation, sanding and painting. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to visit the National Village Museum, tour historic castles, explore the Targu Ocna salt mines or interact with the local community through traditional dances and meals!
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Romania!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Bucharest, Romania, where you’ll meet up with your team and spend the first night in Bucharest.
- Sunday: Learn. Spend the morning exploring Bucharest before meeting Habitat’s staff and travel together to Moinesti. Learn more about our work in the area and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Friday: Build. The team will jump in with construction activities, stopping for breaks and lunch each day. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Saturday: Celebrate. Work on the build site until noon then enjoy a farewell ceremony to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Sunday: Explore. Spend the day exploring the area and share a final meal with your team before traveling back to Bucharest.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Romania independently or head home.
Leading this team
Kyle Cyphers is an independent contractor from Baltimore, Maryland, with 10 years of experience in home building and remodeling. Many volunteers have their doubts about how they can contribute without any experience in construction. Kyle finds that as long as you come with an open heart, an open mind and a willingness to work with others, there is a job for you on his team.
His job, as your leader, is to prepare your expectations, help ease your concerns and encourage your potential. It is his goal to make this the best experience for you, your teammates and the communities with which Habitat serves. Kyle volunteered with Habitat five years ago in order to get back involved with community service. He remains with Habitat for the lifelong relationships, the cherished memories and the vital importance of every person having a safe and decent place to live!