March 23-31, 2019: Travel to Mexico and experience the local cuisine and culture while building relationships and homes.
Trip cost: US$1,986
Join this trip and help Mexican families living in cramped, substandard housing gain access to safer, healthier housing solutions.
More than 50 percent of the population lives in poverty conditions, with 12 million lacking access to education, potable water, adequate housing and basic services. In Oaxaca alone, nearly 1 million people lack access to basic services such as electricity, sewer systems and drinkable water. Homeowners partner with Habitat for Humanity Mexico to build homes designed to fit each families need, each including a separate bathroom, kitchen, bedroom and living areas.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving and compacting dirt, mixing concrete and mortar, painting walls, laying brick or cleaning up the construction sites. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to visit the Sumidero Canyon, indigenous communities and their churches or interact with the local community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Fly into Huatulco where Habitat for Humanity staff will welcome you and take you to your hotel. You’ll get to know your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Skilled construction workers will guide you and your team as you build. After a full day of work, you'll have time to explore the area, rest and reflect with your team.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony with the community to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Enjoy a free day for you to soak up more of the beautiful region. At the final team dinner, reflect on your experience and the week's significance.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Mexico independently or head home.
Leading this team
Jess has been volunteering with Habitat for over 15 years. She previously worked at Habitat's headquarters and has led numerous Habitat builds both in the U.S. and abroad, including builds in Cambodia, Chile, China, El Salvador, Ethiopia and Fiji. She has lived in six different countries and enjoys traveling... well, everywhere!
For Jess, the best part of a Global Village trip is getting to know the homeowner family and the surrounding community. She loves facilitating meaningful experiences for her teams, helping team members get to know each other, the family, the Habitat staff and the locals while exploring new cultures. The best part for her is being able to contribute in a tangible way -- one family at a time. Team members from all backgrounds, locations and experience levels are welcome on her teams -- Jess strongly believes that great diversity makes for great teams!