May 25-June 2, 2019: Join this trip to Mexico and work with the locals to help build better housing solutions for low-income families!
Trip cost: US$2,065
Join this trip and help Mexican families living in cramped, substandard housing gain access to safer, healthier housing solutions!
In Mexico, more than 50 percent of the population live in conditions of poverty, and with 59 percent earning less than three minimum wages per day, many lack the means to buy or build adequate housing. In Nayarit alone, 121,000 people live in poverty and 227,000 don’t have access to electricity, drinkable water or sewer systems. Habitat for Humanity Mexico partners with future homeowners to build homes designed for each family’s needs with separate living spaces, a kitchen and a bathroom.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving and compacting dirt, mixing concrete and mortar, painting walls or cleaning up the construction sites. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to relax on the beach or interact with the local community through shared meals and traditional handcrafts!
- Saturday: Welcome. Fly into the Puerto Vallarta where Habitat for Humanity staff welcomes you and takes you to your hotel. Get to know your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Skilled construction workers will guide you and your team as you build. After a full day of work, you'll have time to explore the area, rest and reflect with your team.
- Saturday: Explore. Enjoy a free day for you to soak up more of the beautiful region. At the final team dinner, reflect on your experience and the week's significance.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Mexico independently or head home.
Leading this team
Melissa has been involved with Habitat for Humanity since 2006. She led three Global Village teams, participated in Global Village builds and has become very involved with her local affiliate. She feels it is an honor to be part of an organization that believes everyone should have a decent place to live.
Global Village trips give participants the chance to step out of normal routines and learn about diverse cultures, discover new skills and foster new friendships. As a team leader, Melissa has the opportunity to bring people together from around the world in order to create a hard-working, close-knit team that builds a home and hope for a family in need of safe, affordable shelter. The impact of being part of a Global Village team is extraordinary. Being able to connect with other cultures, touring the sights of the area and giving back to those in need always deepens her perspective of herself and others. Melissa is excited to create a trip that will give volunteers an incredible experience through travel and hard work!