Feb. 16-24, 2019: Travel to Guatemala and experience the local cuisine and culture while building relationships and homes.
Trip cost: US$1,927
Join this trip to Guatemala and work with the local community to help improve the housing conditions for families lacking adequate shelter!
In Guatemala, 46 percent of the population has no or inadequate latrine services. Many families cook using an open fire indoors, which contributes to the 52 percent of Guatemalans suffering from respiratory disease. Habitat for Humanity partners with the local community and partner families to improve the living conditions in Guatemala. From home improvements such as latrines, concrete floors, roofing and improved stoves to complete home construction. Homes are designed to suit the needs of each individual family, but typically include a kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing concrete and mortar, pouring concrete, tying rebar, splitting or moving concrete blocks or laying blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to tour the city, visit Mayan ruins, visit a local youth center, enjoy marshmallows roasted over lava on a volcano hike or interact with the local community!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in Guatemala City where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet the rest of your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the host affiliate where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s innovative work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon to celebrate the week’s accomplishments with the community.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Antigua and spend the day exploring the city before enjoying a farewell dinner with your team that evening.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or depart for home.
Leading this team
Jean has been volunteering with Habitat for over 20 years, and this will be her 15th Global Village trip and fifth as a team leader. She has had some wonderful experiences and met some fantastic people. Leading a team has taught her patience, tolerance and gratitude for the gifts we are all given by God. Jean is so very grateful for the opportunity to help families realize the dream of a home of their own!