Learn & Build- India
Trip cost: US$1,730
Join us for a unique Learn and Build Global Village trip for youth and young adults ages 16-21! You’ll experience Bangalore, the center of India's high-tech industry and a blossoming dining and shopping scene. While taking in the scenic beauty of the region, you'll also help bring strength and stability to future homeowners who currently lack access to affordable shelter.
You'll spend the day on the work site, building a new home or completing essential repairs. In the evenings you'll engage in deep group conversations and activities about affordable housing and the systemic barriers for families around the world. As a team you'll explore Bangalore and take in its rich culture by visiting Victorian architecture and learning about Indian Mehandhi and Rangoli art.
Your team will help with essential construction activities as you build a new home for a family by digging a foundation, laying bricks, mixing cement and constructing a bathroom. You'll learn more about the economic situation in the area, visit local cultural sites and meet members of the community. You'll stay double occupancy in a hotel near the build site. Lunch, snacks and water will be provided on the build site with dinner at the hotel.
- Thursday-Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards India!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Bangalore where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet your team.
- Sunday: Learn. Spend the day taking in the local culture and learning together with your team about affordable housing in India and around the world.
- Monday-Tuesday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Wednesday: Learn. Get to know the community with a visit to a nearby school. You'll see India through a new lense from what you've learned on the build site and in the evenings.
- Thursday-Friday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together. On Friday you'll celebrate the week's accomplishments with future homeowners.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue your learning journey as you explore local sites and team activities. Enjoy a final team dinner together and reflect on the week.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or head home.
Leading this team
Peter and Amanda Rumsey will be leading this team and would love to tell you more about this unique Global Village Learn and Build experience!
When asked why he continues to lead Global Village teams, Peter shared, “I love how travel and service forces you to get out of your comfort zone and challenges you to learn and grow. Global Village trips provide an incredible opportunity to experience diverse cultures, learn about the world and meet new friends. One of the best experiences I’ve ever had is taking my teenage daughter on a Global Village trip to Guatemala. Transformational.”