Hoa Binh, Vietnam
Trip cost: US$1,805
Experience the beauty of Vietnam while also providing families in the northwest region with strength, stability and self-reliance through resilient housing solutions.
The area experiences landslides and severe cold weather during parts of the year and shelters are often constructed of iron sheets, straw roofs and bamboo walls. Most households do not have access to a hygienic latrine or clean water.
Habitat for Humanity Vietnam and your team will address these housing issues by partnering with vulnerable families through microfinance solutions to help them improve their living conditions with new housing, access to clean water and sanitation facilities.
Join this team if you’re ready to learn more about how Habitat serves homeowners through more than home construction and how adequate water and sanitation facilities lead to improved living conditions. This extended trip is perfect for volunteers excited to spend extra days on the work site.
Get to know Vietnam with visits to local markets, city tours, cooking classes and much more! Teams stay in double occupancy rooms at a local hotel where they’ll enjoy meals as a team and visit local restaurants.
- Friday and Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Vietnam!
- Sunday: Arrive. Join us in Ha Noi, Vietnam! Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Monday: Learn. Travel with your team to Hoa Binh and learn about Habitat’s work in that community.
- Tuesday-Friday: Build. Spend time on the work site building disaster resistant shelter for Vietnam homeowners breaking for lunch and snacks throughout the day. The team will have time for reflection meetings, excursions and rest in the evenings.
- Saturday and Sunday: Explore. The team will go sightseeing in and around the community and sample local cuisine.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Head back to the work site breaking for lunch and snacks throughout the day. Wrap up the week on Thursday with a house dedication and farewell dinner with the team.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week’s work in the afternoon with a house dedication and farewell dinner with the team. Travel back to Ha Noi in the evening.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Vietnam independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Lou Cappiello is leading this team and excited to answer any questions you may have!
When asked about his most memorable Global Village experience, Lous recalled, “After my first team to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, I arranged to return to the home we build the next year. When I got off the moto bike at the house, the woman homeowner recognized me immediately and came running out, tears streaming down her face. She walked me over to a mango tree our team had planted after we completed the build. She told me how every time the tree blossoms she thinks of the people who came from all over the world to build her and her family a home; a home where she can live, raise her children, grow old and see her grandchildren, and someday die in peace after a life well lived.”