Trip cost: US$2,300
Come together with a team of volunteers to build a home for orphans and their caretaker near Lake Malawi.
Your team will work with skilled masons to build a safe, decent house, starting with the foundation. The neighbors will welcome you into their community and you'll be immersed in the daily life of that village.
After your team builds the house, Habitat for Humanity will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and community support. This holistic approach will strength, stability and self-reliance for these children for decades to come.
Your team will stay in a modest, comfortable hotel with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most night, and lunch is served on the work site. You'll work alongside skilled masons to complete essential build site tasks like mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and much more.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards Malawi!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Lilongwe, Malawi, where you'll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in the region and brief the team on your project. You'll travel with your team to the community where you'll build throughout the week.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You'll have time to rest and reflect with your team in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week's accomplishments with the community. REturn with your team to Lilongwe in the afternoon.
- Saturday: Explore. Check out the city of Lilongwe, Malawi's capital city. Enjoy a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Leading this team
Janet Miller is leading this trip to Malawi and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she's eager to lead another team, Janet shared, "I look forward to returning to build again in Malawi! Malawi has the moniker "Warm Heart of Africa" because the people are extremely friendly and welcoming. While the lifestyle and culture are outwardly very different than those in Western countries, inwardly we are all the same with love and appreciation for family and friends. Those on the team will undoubtedly have a wonderful experience that they'll carry in their hearts forever!"