Siem Reap, Cambodia
Trip cost: US$1,785
Join this trip to build alongside families in need of decent, affordable housing in Cambodia.
Cambodia is located in southeastern Asia, bordering the Gulf of Thailand, between Thailand, Vietnam and Laos. The mighty Mekong River dominates the country’s fertile landscape, and the Angkor Wat temple complex is one of the most treasured and visited sites in the entire region.
Habitat Cambodia aims to reduce poverty by empowering communities to improve their access to affordable and basic services and better living conditions. Habitat is involved in new home construction, house repairs and water, sanitation and health initiatives.
Still, housing problems are widespread. In Cambodia, rural households account for nearly 90 percent of the country’s poor, with 85 percent of the population living in rural areas. In Siem Reap, thousands of rural families who have moved to the city for job opportunities live in substandard housing.
Cultural experiences throughout the trip may include market tours, museum visits and historical sites. You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms in a local hotel with private bathrooms. Breakfast and dinner are typically eaten at the hotel or in a local restaurant and lunch is taken at the work site. Spend the days laying bricks, mixing mortar, digging foundations, pouring cement or plastering walls.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Cambodia!
- Saturday: Welcome. Land in Siem Reap where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to nearby museums, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue to deepen your knowledge of the history in Siem Reap with visits to local sites. Conclude the day with a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Cambodia may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Staci Summers will lead this trip to Cambodia and is excited to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she’s leading this trip, Staci reflected, “I don’t know how it is possible to wind up feeling like I’ve been given more than I gave, but it happens. It happens every single time I leave my home to connect with another culture and to help someone else have what has come so easily to me. This is why I build. Because on the work site the playing field is level. Racial, religious, economic and social barriers fade away while we co-labor. To me, this is the labor of love: to so lose yourself in the ‘doing’ that you simply enjoy the ‘being.’”