Homa Bay, Kenya
Trip cost: US$2,365
Dispatch to Kenya, the cultural and economic heartbeat of Africa, and partner with Habitat for Humanity to build housing solutions for vulnerable groups in Homa Bay, Kenya.
Work alongside local masons and neighbors to build new houses or improve existing shelter. Habitat for Humanity Kenya has identified a technology that makes these houses low-cost, energy efficient and sturdy for the long haul.
For most of the week, your team will build and stay in a village near Homa Bay, experiencing the culture and beauty of rural Africa. You will also get a taste of Nairobi, staying for two nights in one of the world’s notable cities.
Habitat for Humanity will connect you with a partner family, an authentic slice of Kenya, a team of like-minded volunteers and a glimpse of how Habitat helps families break the cycle of substandard housing.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head for Kenya.
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Nairobi, Kenya where Habitat for Humanity staff will pick you up at the airport and you’ll meet your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Travel. Habitat staff will introduce you to their work in Kenya, which includes microloans and health programs in addition to building. Travel to your host community near Homa Bay.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Start construction activities, stopping for breaks and lunch each day. Excursions, rest and reflection time will follow in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Build, then wrap up construction at a farewell celebration with your partner family and neighbors.
- Saturday: Explore. Drive back to Nairobi and have time to explore the area. At the final team dinner, reflect on your experience and what it means.
- Sunday: Depart. Continue your journey in Kenya independently or head home.
Leading this trip
Sully Mynatt is leading this team to Kenya and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she’s eager to lead this trip, Sully reflected, “Kenya is a wonderful and beautiful country. I am thrilled to have this project to work with you and the Habitat family.”