Trip cost: US$1,975
Join this 10-day trip building with families in need of safe, affordable housing.
Romania is a fascinating country – a place where medieval life meets modern times. While visiting, you’ll discover a land with majestic, natural beauty, a rich cultural heritage, and a history still alive in, and sometimes haunting, the present.
Habitat for Humanity of Romania is serving families who have been waiting years to move into social housing units in Cumpana. Your team will help construct quadruplexes, a low-cost housing solution that, when complete, will house four families.
You'll work alongside skilled masons, completing essential construction activities, including digging foundations, making and pouring concrete, building frames and roof trusses, raising the walls of the quadruplex, and so much more. The team will stay double-occupancy in a local hotel with meals out at local restaurants. The first and last nights will be in Bucharest.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head towards Romania!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Romania. Meet the rest of your teammates, enjoy dinner together and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to Cumpana and explore the area. Enjoy some free time before meeting back up with your team for dinner.
- Monday-Saturday: Build. Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before traveling to the work site where you’ll serve from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. with breaks for lunch and snacks. You’ll have free time after work to clean up and relax. Enjoy dinner in local restaurants and reflect with your team on the week.
- Sunday: Explore. Visit Histria and break for lunch in Constanta. Explore the area and have a last dinner in Romania with your teammates.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Romania independently or head home.
Leading this trip
Kristen Burgun will lead this team to Romania and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why she's eager to lead another trip, Kristen shared, "Leading builds is such an amazing journey, from beginning to end, the relationships you form while building a deserving family a safe and loving home stays with you for a lifetime. And if you haven't danced around the cement volcano, you haven't danced yet!"