Trip cost: US$1,775
Join this two-week trip to India to serve families affected by the Chennai floods in 2015. You'll spend time constructing a new home while experiencing the culture and community like a local.
Current living conditions are often small and shared by several family members. They cannot withstand strong climate conditions, making families vulnerable to natural disasters, and their homes are in need of frequent repairs. During this trip, you'll build more than just a house, you'll also construct a separate bathroom in order to provide access to safe sanitation facilities for the future homeowners. The new shelter is designed to be disaster resilient and will provide stability for this homeowner and their family for years to come.
Your team will build alongside skilled masons to complete essential tasks like digging a foundation, laying bricks and mixing cement. You'll learn more about the economic situation in the area, visit local cultural sites and meet members of the community. You'll stay double occupancy in a hotel near the build site. Lunch, snacks and water will be provided on the build site with dinner at the hotel.
- Saturday-Sunday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head for India!
- Monday: Arrive. Join us in India, where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport. You'll meet the rest of the team and have free time to explore the city of Chennai before dinner.
- Tuesday-Friday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Habitat staff will show you the community, take you to local cultural sites and share with you the unique treasures of India.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day at the work site building, meeting community members and getting to know the family you're partnering with. Enjoy time in the evenings to rest, reflect with your team and share dinner together.
- Friday: Celebrate. You'll head back to the build site and work throughout the morning. In the afternoon, the team will celebrate the week's accomplishments with the homeowners and community members.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or head home.
Leading this team
Charles Milkovits is leading this team and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked about his favorite Global Village memory, Charles shared, "By the end of the week on a build in Chile, we had gotten a new two-story home fully framed for one of the most deserving families that I have ever built for. The look of disbelief followed by gratitude on the family's faces when they saw their very own home where their children would grow up was very, very powerful. It is something I will never forget and always comes to mind when I'm planning my next trip!"