Trip cost: US$1,565
Join this trip and visit one of the most beautiful destinations in the United States while helping a family obtain a safe, decent and affordable home.
On this trip, you’ll spend a busy week working on new home construction or a critical home repair. Work may involve framing, siding installation, flooring, installing cabinets, painting and more. You’ll dine on authentic Hawaiian food, visit the royal Kō’ie’ie Fishpond restoration project for a day of cultural learning and working and discover firsthand the beauty of Hawaii’s beaches. Your group will stay together at a local church and dine out in local restaurants or cook meals together with free time in the evenings.
Join this trip if you want to serve families in an area facing one of the most severe shortages of affordable housing access in the United States. Teams will be immersed in Hawaiian culture and learn how tourism and a high cost of living are barriers to homeowners striving to achieve strength, stability and independence in Maui.
- Sunday: Arrive. Join us in Maui, Hawaii where you’ll meet up with your team. You’ll meet Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area while enjoying a delicious welcome meal.
- Monday and Tuesday: Build. The team will start construction activities, stopping for breaks and lunch each day. Excursions, rest and reflection time to follow in the evenings.
- Wednesday: Explore. Discover all that the island has to offer with a day off from build activities.
- Thursday: Build. Help with the restoration of a local, traditional fish pond.
- Friday and Saturday: Build. Return to the build site. Excursions, rest and reflection time to follow in the evenings with a farewell team dinner Saturday night.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Maui independently or head home.
Leading this team
Bree Aseltine will lead this trip to Maui and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why she's excited to lead another team to Maui, Bree shared, "I am a social worker dedicated to the cause of helping families connect with opportunities to better their lives and futures through access to affordable housing. I have volunteered with Habitat since 20018, both locally and through the Global Village program. I am excited to share my passion for this important work. I also have a deep love and respect for the Hawaiian people and culture, and look forward to introducing a new team of people to this incredible place."