Chiang Mai, Thailand
Trip cost: US$2,010
Join us in Chiang Mai, a region known as Thailand's cultural capital.
Chiang Mai is known not only for its beautifully preserved city center, but also for its strong creative and arts society. Nonetheless, many residents live in improperly built homes with limited resources resulting in unsafe and unhygienic living conditions. Families often live with several other family members in these small homes, creating very crowded conditions.
During this trip, you'll become immersed in the Thai culture and build alongside a future homeowner as they work to bring strength, stability and self-reliance to their family.
Your days will be spent with a shovel in your hand as you move dirt, dig septic tanks, mix concrete and lay foundations. Not only are you helping to build a home, your work will also boost a family’s economic opportunities and improve their health.
Plus, you’ll get to see Thailand’s amazing Buddhist temples and learn to cook authentic Thai cuisine. Teams stay in double occupancy hotel rooms and enjoy a Thai style buffet at lunch each day with breakfast and dinner at the hotel or nearby restaurants.
- Thursday and Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head towards Thailand!
- Saturday: Arrive. Land in Chiang Mai, where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby temple, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend part of the day on the build site and enjoy a dedication ceremony to close out the week.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Thailand may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Leading this team
Holly Carter will lead this team and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why she's eager to lead another trip, Holly shared, "I am so excited for a summer team! I have spent many summers working on builds around the world and can't wait to have another great experience. Let's work towards Habitat's mission this summer and provide strength, stability and self-reliance for a family in need."