Trip cost: US$2,010
Join us on this two-week trip to the island of Mindoro in the Philippines to work alongside future homeowners as they achieve independence through affordable shelter.
During this trip, you'll experience firsthand the effects a Habitat home can have on families in the Philippines. You can see how Habitat is serving families outside of the busy city of Manila and designing housing solutions for island communities that are often susceptible to fierce storms. On this trip, your team will construct a row house from concrete blocks in an existing Habitat community in Mindoro.
The Philippines, the third-largest English-speaking country in the world, has a rich history of Asian, European and American influences. During your downtime, you'll experience local cuisine, visit breathtaking sites and become immersed in the community and culture.
You'll stay double occupancy in a local hotel and enjoy meals there or at nearby restaurants. This extended trip is perfect for volunteers wanting a few extra days on the build site.
- Saturday-Sunday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Manila, Philippines.
- Monday: Welcome. Arrive at Ninoy Aquino International Airport where you'll be greeted by Habitat staff. Meet the rest of your team and enjoy dinner together. You'll stay overnight in Manila.
- Tuesday: Travel. Travel with your team to Batangas where you'll catch a ferry to Calapan Port before arriving in Mindoro in time for dinner.
- Wednesday- Sunday: Build. Grab breakfast before heading to the build site to meet the homeowners you'll be building alongside. Skilled masons will lead as you construct concrete row houses. In the evenings, you'll explore the area with your team, share dinner together and reflect on the week's experiences.
- Monday-Tuesday: Explore. Take a break from the build site and explore the area of Mindoro with your team. You'll visit local sites and gain a deeper understanding of community life in the region.
- Wednesday-Thursday: Build. It's time to head back to the build site where you'll continue your work alongside skilled masons.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site and celebrate the week's accomplishments with the future homeowners and community. Depart for Manila in the afternoon.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Asia independently or head home.
Leading this team
Michele Alvarez will lead this team to Mindoro and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she's excited to lead another team, Michele shared, "After leading a team to Thailand, I've seen the power of volunteering with an organization like Habitat, and its impact on homeowners and volunteers alike. It always amazes me how much perspective we gain through these experiences with travel and working alongside each other. One of the best ways to experience the world is through food, learning bits of a new language and gaining new skills. Going on these trips makes me realize how much I've grown as a leader and volunteer."