Ahuachapan, El Salvador
Volunteer with a holistic development project that builds decent housing as well as economic growth and communal resources.
Trip cost: US$1,745
Join us in El Salvador to build alongside future homeowners and see how communities are transformed through Habitat's work.
As you build, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Learn to make pupusas with Habitat homeowners and taste other Salvadoran foods. Meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve, explore local sites like volcanoes and learn about El Salvador’s history and how it affects access to shelter in the region. At the end of the week, you’ll get to relax and unwind on the Pacific Coast.
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hotels with two to three people per room. On the build site, you'll work alongside skilled masons with a variety of essential tasks including digging foundation, mixing cement, laying brick and painting.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in El Salvador where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff. You’ll meet up with the rest of your team and enjoy dinner together.
- Sunday: Learn. Immerse yourself in the local culture with visits to local attractions, tours of the area and dinner with the rest of your team. Habitat staff will orient you to our work in El Salvador, and you'll travel to Ahuachapan.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Head to the build site where you’ll spend the day with breaks for lunch and snacks. Once you return back to the hotel you'll have time to rest, reflect with your team on the week's experience and share dinner together at the hotel or in a local restaurant.
- Saturday: Explore. Enjoy a day beside the ocean with the rest of your team, then celebrate the week with a final team dinner.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in El Salvador independently or head home.
Leading this trip
Katie Key will lead this trip and would love to tell you more about the experience!
When asked why she's interested in leading this team, Katie shared, "My first experience with Habitat was on a trip to El Salvador, and I'm excited to return there! I currently serve at Habitat's headquarters in Georgia and am always eager to get out of the office and back onto the build site."