East Region, Nepal
Trip cost: US$2,285
Join this team to Nepal, and you’ll be building in the east region of the country near Mount Everest. This area not only includes some of the world's most beautiful tea gardens and wildlife reserves, but also families in need of better housing.
Habitat Nepal is serving homeowners from several caste systems and ethnic groups. Despite the fact that people of many different cultures live throughout the east region, there is unity in diversity. Agriculture is the main occupation for members of this community, and monsoon winds bring enough rainfalls in the summer to support the growth of food crops like paddy, wheat and maize.
Lodging will be provided in a local hotel with volunteers sharing double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast will be provided at the hotel with lunch, snacks and bottled water ready at the work site. Experience dinner either at the hotel or in local restaurants.
On the work site you’ll be led by skilled local workers. You’ll help mix mortar and cement, carry sand and gravel, soak bricks and weave bamboo – all critically important tasks as Nepalese families start their journey towards building a safe home.
- Friday and Saturday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head for Nepal!
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Kathmandu where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff. Meet up with the rest of your team and enjoy dinner in a local restaurant or at the hotel in Kathmandu.
- Monday: Travel. Head towards your host community. Along the way, you’ll learn about Habitat’s innovative work in Nepal and your team’s project for the week. Habitat staff will introduce you to the community where you’ll stay.
- Tuesday-Sunday: Build. Head out to the build site where you'll work and get to know the community. Enjoy lunch on the build site and breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants.
- Monday: Explore. Depart your host community and head back toward the airport. There will be time to explore the local area and participate in excursions.
- Tuesday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Nepal independently or head home.
Leading this team
Gina Brown is leading this team to Nepal and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why she's eager to lead another Global Village trip, Gina shared, "I am a long time Habitat volunteer, locally and internationally. In my experience, volunteering with Habitat is a low-risk and high-reward adventure. The Habitat vision of 'a world where everyone has a decent place to live' really resonates with me. I'm happy to spend my effort, time and money helping to make that vision a reality."