Trip cost: US$2,010
Travel to Nicaragua for Thanksgiving and help Habitat for Humanity build homes with families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Eat traditional gallo pinto and other typical foods, meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve and explore local sites. You'll also learn about the innovative and holistic approach Habitat Nicaragua takes to serve families in need of decent shelter. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside this culture.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Saturday: Arrive. Arrive at Managua airport where Habitat for Humanity staff will welcome you. Travel to accommodations and meet your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will orient you to our work in Nicaragua and introduce you to the community in which you’ll work.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Build on-site with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel to Granada, stopping at beautiful cultural sites along the way, then enjoy a final team dinner.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Nicaragua independently or head home.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hotels with two to three people per room. Enjoy a variety of cuisine prepared by locals.
Tasks on the work site
International volunteers may work in all stages of home construction. Regardless of what stage the house is in when the team arrives, responsibilities will likely include digging, carrying bricks, mixing cement, compacting dirt, moving materials and painting.
Leading this team
Paul Van Ast will lead this trip to Nicaragua and is excited to tell you more about the experience!
This will be Paul's 11th time leading a Global Village trip and has traveled to locations across the globe including Jordan, Guatemala, Colombia, South Africa, the Dominican Republic, Vietnam and Argentina.
Select the "apply now" button below or email Paul with any questions you have.