Trip cost: US$1,735
Travel to Portugal for Thanksgiving and help Habitat for Humanity build homes with families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
Many Portuguese families live in homes that are overcrowded and often lack electricity, proper sanitation or running water. Your team will experience how Habitat Portugal provides safe and decent housing through their microfinance program.
You’ll stay in a modest, comfortable hotel with double-occupancy rooms. You’ll get an authentic taste of Portuguese cuisine by dining at local restaurants for lunch and dinner each day. Your trip will immerse you in the community’s culture with a visit to nearby Guimaraes, the cradle of Portuguese culture and home to their first king.
Join this trip if you’d like to see firsthand how Habitat impacts homeowners through rehabilitation efforts. You’ll spend six entire days on the build site getting your hands dirty with demolition efforts, bending rebar, laying bricks or painting.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Portugal!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Porto, Portugal, where you’ll meet up with your team and spend the first night in Porto.
- Sunday: Learn. Spend the morning exploring Porto before meeting Habitat’s staff and travel together to Amarante. Learn more about our work in the area and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Friday: Build. The team will jump in with renovation construction activities stopping for breaks and lunch each day. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. Spend the day exploring the area and share a final meal with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Travel back to Porto and continue your journey in Portugal independently or head home.
Types of work for volunteers
Depending on the stage of construction, you will work on a variety of tasks. Some of the tasks include framing, roofing, painting and siding. All tools and construction site materials will be provided by the affiliate, and a professional construction leader will always be present on-site.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
Leading this team
Paul Van Ast will lead this trip to Portugal and is excited to share this experience!
This will be Paul's 11th time leading a Global Village trip, and he has traveled to locations across the globe including Jordan, Guatemala, Colombia, South Africa, the Dominican Republic, Vietnam and Argentina.
Apply now below or email Paul with any questions you have.