Trip cost: US$2,365
Join this team in Kenya, the cultural and economic heartbeat of Africa, and partner with Habitat for Humanity to build housing solutions for vulnerable children in Nanyuki.
You’ll learn about how Habitat Kenya is serving child-headed households through holistic housing solutions, including advocating for shelter, inheritance rights and child protection rights. On the build site you’ll work alongside local masons and neighbors to build low-cost, energy-efficient and sturdy homes.
For most of the week your team will build and stay in Nanyuki, experiencing the culture and beauty of rural Kenya. You will also experience Nairobi, staying for two nights in one of the world’s most notable cities.
Habitat for Humanity will connect you with a partner family, an authentic slice of Kenya, a team of like-minded volunteers and a glimpse of how Habitat breaks the poverty cycle for families. You’ll stay double occupancy in a local hotel and enjoy authentic Kenyan cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Friday: Depart. Grab your packed bags and head for Kenya.
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Nairobi, Kenya, where Habitat for Humanity staff will pick you up at the airport. Meet your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Travel. Habitat staff will introduce you to their work in Kenya, which includes working with communities through microloans and health programs in addition to building. Travel to your host community near Nanyuki.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Start construction activities, stopping for breaks and lunch each day. Excursions, rest and reflection time will follow in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Build, and then wrap up construction at a farewell celebration with your partner family and neighbors.
- Saturday: Explore. Drive back to Nairobi and explore the area. At the final team dinner, reflect on your experience that week.
- Sunday: Depart. Continue your journey in Kenya independently or head home.
Leading this trip
Graham Robb is leading this team and would love to tell you more about the experience.
When asked why he's eager to lead another trip, Graham shared, "Working alongside family members and experiencing their joy in building a decent place in which to live is incredibly rewarding. Being able to gain a better understanding of another culture while being part of a team that is making a profound impact in a family's life makes Global Village a truly unique experience."