Trip cost: US$2,375
On this Global Village trip you’ll spend the week serving Zambia’s most vulnerable populations – orphans and children, persons with disabilities and the elderly.
Your team’s work is essential to the region as more than 80 percent of the population in Zambia is considered low-income and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing.
The staff in Zambia will immerse you in the local community where you’ll meet village leaders, gain a deeper understanding of the vulnerable groups and how shelter affects those at risk of HIV/AIDS.
You’ll stay together with your team in guest houses with lunch on the build site and breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants. On the build site, expect to help with a variety of tasks including mixing and moving mortar, transporting crashed stones, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and much more.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Zambia!
- Saturday: Arrive. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia. You’ll be greeted by Habitat staff when you arrive and will join the rest of your team before departing the airport.
- Sunday: Learn. Discover more about how Habitat Zambia is serving vulnerable groups in the region. Then travel to Kabwe and meet the community.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. The team will clear sites, mix cement and assist the local masons to build a new home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Build in the morning and then enjoy a dedication ceremony with community. Then the team will travel back to Lusaka and celebrate the week’s accomplishments with Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Visit local sites and enjoy a farewell dinner with the rest of the team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Tricia Vos lives in Boston, Massachusetts, and when she's not traveling or volunteering, she works part-time as a consultant in the field of medical chemistry. She's led 12 previous Global Village teams, including a 2015 trip to Zambia. She can't wait to return to this beautiful country and share this experience with you!