May 30-June 5, 2020: Travel, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Jordan!
Trip cost: US$1,690
Join this trip to Jordan and learn about a new, exciting culture while helping provide safe, affordable to families in need.
The combination of drought, refugee migration and an age bubble has increased the need for affordable housing solutions in Jordan. The current demand of 30,000 new homes annually is likely to continue to increase in the next 10-15 years. Habitat for Humanity Jordan aims to help low-income families and address the inadequate, overcrowded housing conditions by partnering with the community to provide safe, affordable homes based on each family’s individual needs, including a separate living space, kitchen and bathroom.
You’ll be staying in guest housing with separate sleeping quarters based on gender. Breakfast will be provided at the guest house with lunches served on the build site. Dinners will be hosted at a partner family’s home each night. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, lifting and carrying cement blocks, building exterior and interior walls, cutting and bending rebar or preparing and pouring the flat roof. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity visit archeological sites, hike around the village or interact with the local community through shared meals and barbecues.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Amman, Jordan, where Habitat for Humanity will greet you at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the affiliate community, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project. Then enjoy your first afternoon on the build site.
- Monday-Wednesday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Thursday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Friday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Jordan independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Kate Collinson is a passionate believer in Habitat’s mission and finds tremendous satisfaction in facilitating Global Village teams around the world. This quote from Margaret Mead captures her sentiments on Global Village trips, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
Believing that knowledge and preparation are critical, Kate provides a lot of information in the months leading up to the build and strongly encourages questions. The “magic” comes into play as the group works together towards its goal: making safe, affordable housing available to a partner family abroad. Kate has led builds to locations in Argentina, Cambodia, Zambia, Romania, Poland, Guatemala and Portugal, and every one has been special. As team leader, her priority is ensuring a positive and memorable cross-cultural experience for each team member -- while accomplishing the team’s building goals, of course!