April 11-17, 2020: Travel, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Jordan.
Trip cost: US$1,690
Join this trip to Jordan and learn about a new, exciting culture while helping provide safe, affordable to families in need.
The combination of drought, refugee migration and an age bubble has increased the need for affordable housing solutions in Jordan. The current demand of 30,000 new homes annually is likely to continue to increase in the next 10-15 years. Habitat for Humanity Jordan aims to help low-income families and address the inadequate, overcrowded housing conditions by partnering with the community to provide safe, affordable homes based on each family’s individual needs, including a separate living space, kitchen and bathroom.
You’ll be staying in guest housing with separate sleeping quarters based on gender. Breakfast will be provided at the guest house with lunches served on the build site. Dinners will be hosted at a partner family’s home each night. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, lifting and carrying cement blocks, building exterior and interior walls, cutting and bending rebar or preparing and pouring the flat roof. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity visit archeological sites, hike around the village or interact with the local community through shared meals and barbecues.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Amman, Jordan, where Habitat for Humanity will greet you at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the affiliate community, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project. Then enjoy your first afternoon on the build site.
- Monday-Wednesday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Thursday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Friday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Jordan independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Chris has led more than 20 Global Village trips since 2002. He believes Global Village volunteers are there to build community and hope as well as homes while they work alongside the local Habitat and future homeowners. For Chris, working on a Habitat home is a manifestation of an idea: that people are the same all over the world and creating something together brings out our common beliefs and goals.
As a team leader, Chris emphasizes working hard, appreciating the local culture and respecting all life on and off site. He hopes his team members bring back home the “magic” of understanding and connection that happens during Global Village builds.