Feb. 1-13, 2020: Travel to India and experience a new culture while building safe, affordable housing.
Trip cost: US$2,285
Venture to India and work alongside partner families to build safe, affordable housing!
As the housing shortage in India continues to deepen, low-income families are left living in inadequate housing and find themselves unable to access the resources necessary to improve their living conditions. Habitat for Humanity India works with partner families to build homes while also providing financial, technical and volunteer support! Home repairs and construction not only create a permanent asset for a family, these also grant them access to safe, secure housing and improved hygiene, health and privacy.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunch will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include laying bricks or foundations, mixing cement, painting or digging. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the local community through visits to schools, a Self Help Women’s Group meeting, medical camps for women and young girls and a market run entirely by women. You'll also have a chance to visit Mysore, Hasan or Nandhi Hills!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive at Kempegowda International Airport where Habitat staff will greet you and take you to meet your team. You'll have free time to explore the city before sharing a team dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Learn more about Habitat’s work in the area and the project you’ll be working on throughout the week.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Spend the day on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Monday-Tuesday: Build. Continue your work on the build site.
- Wednesday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Thursday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Mike has led over 40 Global Village trips around the world over the last 18 years. His teams are typically diverse in backgrounds and united in their desire to help families around the world achieve the dream of a safe, secure and stable home. Mike takes the time to discuss Habitat’s history, mission and policies with each team member, touching on the logistics of the build, working conditions they’ll likely encounter and the personal qualities that each team member should possess.
Mike regularly communicates with his team prior to their build, sending a series of informative newsletters with packing tips to prepare them for their trip. During the build, he’s passionate about helping each team member find the build experience they were hoping for and provides leadership that brings out respect, empathy, patience, flexibility and joy to every part of the build.