March 8-15, 2020: Travel to India and experience a new culture while building safe, affordable housing.
Trip cost: US$1,895
Venture to India and work alongside partner families to build safe, affordable housing.
As the housing shortage in India continues to deepen, low-income families are left living in inadequate conditions and unable to access resources necessary to improve their living conditions. Habitat for Humanity India works with partner families to build homes while also providing financial, technical and volunteer support. Home repairs and construction not only create a permanent asset for a family, they also grant them access to safe, secure housing and improved hygiene, health and privacy.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunch will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include laying bricks or foundations, mixing cement, painting or digging. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the local community through a cooking class, henna tattooing or learning about self-help group systems, micro-credit and income generation programs.
- Sunday: Welcome. Arrive at Indira Gandhi Airport where Habitat staff will greet you and take you to meet your team. You'll learn more about Habitat’s work in the region and enjoy a welcome dinner with your team.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments!
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in India independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Jess previously worked at Habitat’s headquarters and has led numerous Global Village teams to Cambodia, Chile, China, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Fiji, Mexico and the U.S. Jess has lived in six different countries and enjoys traveling to… well, everywhere! For Jess, the best part of a Global Village trip is getting to know the homeowner family and surrounding community. She loves facilitating meaningful experiences for her teams and helping team members get to know each other, the family, Habitat staff and the locals, all while exploring new cultures. The most rewarding part of a Global Village trip is being able to contribute to others in a tangible way, one family at a time. Team members from all backgrounds, locations and experience levels are welcome on her teams. Jess strongly believes that great diversity makes for great teams!