Feb. 29-March 7, 2020: Travel to a new country and learn how housing needs differ around the globe.
Trip cost: US$2,060
Join us in Krabi, a region of Thailand known for its beautiful beaches and stunning limestone cliffs, as you work alongside a family to build safe, affordable housing.
Despite its popularity in tourism over the last decade, poverty and inequality continue to pose significant challenges in Thailand. Over 80% of the country's 7.1 million population live in rural areas. Flooding in Thailand is also an annual occurrence, requiring clean-up kits and emergency shelter kits for families across the country. Habitat for Humanity Thailand works with partners to build, repair and rehabilitate homes with families living below the national poverty line and elevate vulnerable groups.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. A Thai-styled lunch will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving dirt, filling in the ground beam, mixing cement, laying bricks or digging septic tank holes. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity visit beautiful beaches, go island-hopping, attend a Thai cooking class or interact with the local community through local school/orphanage visits.
- Saturday: Welcome. Land at Krabi International Airport where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to a nearby temple, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Cambodia independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Les has been volunteering with Habitat for Humanity since a trip to Mississippi shortly after Hurricane Katrina. He enjoys being able to have a personal impact on someone else’s life, and volunteering is an essential part of who he is! He has been leading Global Village trips since 2011 and also helps organize a number of volunteer activities for his coworkers throughout the year. Les hopes you’ll join him on his latest Global Village trip!