Chiang Mai, Thailand
March 28-April 4, 2020: Join this trip and help build safe, affordable housing while immersing yourself in a rich culture.
Trip cost: US$2,190
Help build family friendly homes, one-storey homes on this Global Village trip to Thailand.
With 16% of the population living below the national poverty line, houses are often built improperly with limited resources, resulting in unsafe, unhygienic living conditions. Habitat for Humanity Thailand partners with future homeowners and the community to build family friendly, one-story homes with separate living areas, a toilet and washing area.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, moving dirt, filling in the ground beam, laying bricks, cementing the floor or digging septic tank holes. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to experience the mountainous landscape, visit Lanna-styled temples, attend a Thai cooking class or interact with the community through local school and orphanage visits.
- Saturday: Welcome. Land at Chiang Mai where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers and learn more about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Sunday: Explore. Experience the local culture with a visit to nearby temples, markets and restaurants.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Thailand may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
George has been on over 10 Global Village trips, having led four trips. He is passionate about providing opportunities for participants to experience the local culture as they build homes and friendships. While each experience is unique, every trip gives the team members an opportunity to make connections with the families as they offer a hand up. George hopes you decide to join his Global Village trip and would be happy to share information about the trip with you.