Buenos Aires, Argentina
Feb. 1-9, 2020: Travel, build and learn with Habitat’s Global Village program!
Volunteer with a holistic development project that builds decent housing as well as economic growth and communal resources.
Trip cost: US$2,320
Join this trip to Argentina and build alongside families while exploring a new part of the world and immersing yourself in a different culture!
The housing deficit in Argentina reaches about three million homes, increasing at a rate of approximately 36,000 homes per year. Additionally, a wide gap between those with high income and those with low income has led to an economic and social crisis, deepening the housing issue and leaving thousands living in precarious housing. Habitat for Humanity Argentina’s Seed House and Progressive Home Improvements projects aim to bridge the deepening income gap in Argentina. These projects offer families a fast solution to their current housing needs, followed by the education and support necessary to further build sustainability on their own.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunches will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include painting, sanding, digging and filling foundations, digging septic tanks, mixing cement or bending and cutting rebar. Off the build site, you’ll get to explore the city, share stories with the locals as you enjoy the traditional Argentinean tea “mate” or test out your dancing skills with a Tango class and demonstration!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive at Ezeiza Ministro Pistarini International Airport where you’ll be greeted by Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area. Later you’ll get to know your team over dinner at a local restaurant.
- Sunday: Learn. Continue to learn about Habitat work’s in the region while exploring the city and immersing yourself in the local culture.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony with the community celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Explore the area and share a final meal with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Argentina independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Like many long-time Habitat supporters do, Duane started as a volunteer. He and his family moved to Americus, Georgia, in 1989 as full-time volunteers during in the days when volunteers and staff mingled with Millard and Linda Fuller at daily devotions and monthly potlucks. Volunteering led to over two decades of employment with Habitat, working in executive leadership with several affiliates before “semi-semi-retiring.”
Duane has led over 20 Global Village trips to Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua, Poland and Portugal. He communicates regularly with his team members before the trip though weekly updates beginning two months before departure. Emails include information on currency exchange, climate, work projects, hotels, transportation and a suggested packing list.