Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 18-26, 2020: Travel, build and learn with Habitat’s Global Village program!
Volunteer with a holistic development project that builds decent housing as well as economic growth and communal resources.
Trip cost: US$2,320
Join this trip to Argentina and build alongside families while exploring a new part of the world and immersing yourself in a different culture!
The housing deficit in Argentina reaches about three million homes, increasing at a rate of approximately 36,000 homes per year. Additionally, a wide gap between those with high income and those with low income has led to an economic and social crisis, deepening the housing issue and leaving thousands living in precarious housing. Habitat for Humanity Argentina’s Seed House and Progressive Home Improvements projects aim to bridge the deepening income gap in Argentina. These projects offer families a fast solution to their current housing needs, followed by the education and support necessary to further build sustainability on their own.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunches will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include painting, sanding, digging and filling foundations, digging septic tanks, mixing cement or bending and cutting rebar. Off the build site, you’ll get to explore the city, share stories with the locals as you enjoy the traditional Argentinean tea “mate” or test out your dancing skills with a Tango class and demonstration!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive at Ezeiza Ministro Pistarini International Airport where you’ll be greeted by Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area. Later you’ll get to know your team over dinner at a local restaurant.
- Sunday: Learn. Continue to learn about Habitat work’s in the region while exploring the city and immersing yourself in the local culture.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony with the community celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Explore the area and share a final meal with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Argentina independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Andy absolutely subscribes to Habitat’s vision of “a world where everyone has a decent place to live.” Andy does what he can to realize that vision by leading Global Village teams across the world and by volunteering with his local affiliate in Mount Angel, Oregon. As a Global Village team leader, Andy views his role as that of a facilitator. His objective is to ensure that you have the most positive build experience that you can and that when you leave, there is no doubt in your mind that you made a positive contribution to building a house around a family in need of affordable shelter.
Andy has been on eleven Global Village builds, six as a team member and five more as a leader. The trip is an amazing way to experience a country -- you can sightsee as well immerse yourself into a local community in a way that you would never be able to as a tourist. Andy invites you to join him in Argentina!